Residentuu:r is a creative residency series initiated by Ensemble U: in 2016. Initially it was to work with composers and to learn from them (2016/17 - Liisa Hirsch, 2018 - Andrus Kallastu), in 2019 U: worked with music of deceased composer Udo Kasemets (1919-2014), 2020 opened the subject to broader view and investigated artificial intelligence, in 2021 the subject in focus is music criticism.
The goal of the series this year is to investigate what are the expectations of musicians fr feedback from critics, what is the role of music criticism in influencing and regulating the music scene, how to improve and enliven the collaboration between musicians and critics.
U: has invited top rate specialists with vast experience on these fields from Estonia, Finland and Canada to discuss the subjects with U:.
The meetings take place over Zoom and will be transmitted live also on U:'s Youtube channel
1. Tu 09.02.21 6:00 PM
guests: Jeremy Strachan (Canada), Kerri Kotta (Estonia)
What is the role of critic today, how it has changed of last 50 years;
What are the expectations for a critic;
Tu 09.03.21 6:00 PM
The meeting will take place in Zoom and will be streamed live on the U:'s Youtube channel
guests: Kare Eskola, Jaani Länsio (Soome)
- The ideal criticism? - an example
- Not so ideal criticism - examples and some meta criticism
- How to make criticism better by controlling the discourse and storyline
- What to tell about the music before the concert
- The many forms of criticism - media is only a small part
guests: David Dacks (Canada), Maria Mölder (Estonia)
- the future of music criticism
- sponsored content, social media's impact
- demystifying music critics
Tu 27.04.21 at 5:00 PM
Moderator: Kadri-Ann Sumera
- Open criticism on U:'s concert on Estonian Music Days of 25.04.21
- Summary of the series